NHS Cambridgeshire commissioned Excell Ultrasound to provide a high quality GP direct access ultrasound service to the population residing within South Fenland in February 2008 until 31st March 2009. The contract was renewed on a 3-year term in April 2009. This service was extended to include practices in Yaxley and Whittlesey which are on the border of Peterborough.
The service provided by Excell is prompt and efficient and the Sonographers conduct themselves in a professional manner. Excell have demonstrated flexibility that has allowed GPs to refer at short notice those extra patients whose clinical symptoms or signs have given GPs cause for concern.
The PCT conducted a survey of the service provided by Excell in the South Fenland locality and examples of the comments are detailed below:-
- GP March – “An excellent service - we must be the envy of other areas. Easy referral, convenient for the patient. Very prompt results.”
- GP Manea – “They have been excellent in all ways”
- GP Chatteris – “Really good service and reports come back quickly.”
- GP March – “I have been impressed with the speed of scans and of reports. Patients love the service, as proximity to their homes is important. Today, a 39 year old has been diagnosed with liver mets so I'm especially thankful for a rapid local service.”
In order to comply with the contract Excell provide the following documentation in a timely manner.
- Waiting times - number of Patients waiting over 2 weeks for a diagnostic test and average waiting time
- Quarterly patient satisfaction questionnaires
- Monthly activity report to the Commissioner
Commissioning Service Improvement Manager
Practice Based Commissioning East Cambs & Fenland